Scientists looking at samples in a test tube and pipetting

SciChem at a glance

We are SciChem, one of the UK’s leading distributors of scientific and laboratory equipment and chemicals.

Founded in 1957, we have grown to become a market leader of scientific and school science supplies to industrial and education sectors in both the UK and overseas — operating across three sites in Wolverhampton, Aberdeen and Cork.

We are passionate people determined to deliver excellence in everything we do. We are committed to serving our customers, developing and empowering our people and reducing our impact on the environment. Using our sector knowledge, experience and supply base, we source and supply to demanding markets including food and beverage, oil processors, testing laboratories, academia, and many more; our customers expect the best solutions, on time and on budget.

We exist to support the science community to make a difference in the world.

Our Story

The Early Years

1957
Scientific & Chemical Supplies Ltd. (SciChem) was founded in 1957 by Mr J R Turton MPS, a pharmacist, and Mr K H Cartland, a WW2 fighter pilot. The company started in Sedgley, in the heart of the Black Country in the West Midlands, and supplied a large number of foundries, metal finishing companies, the automotive industry and local schools.
1988
The company had outgrown its existing premises and moved to Livingstone Road, Bilston, West Midlands, where it is still based today.

The 1990s

1996
The company acquired several neighbouring properties to meet the need for additional storage space.
1997
Hogg Laboratory Supplies Ltd., based in Birmingham, was acquired. SciChem were strong in the laboratory market, whilst Hogg Laboratory Supplies was growing strongly in the secondary science education market. Merging the two companies together with their individual strengths gave it a strong foundation for further growth in both markets.
1999
SciChem opened a branch in Cork, Republic of Ireland to target the growing demand for laboratory supplies in the dairy and pharmaceutical markets.
1999
In the same year the company also won several blue chip sole supply contracts and established a branch in Aberdeen to serve the petro-chemical industry and local demand.

The New Millennium

2001
The laboratory distribution business of A. J. Beveridge, part of Bunzl plc, based in Edinburgh was acquired.
2002
The business of R&J Wood Ltd. in Paisley was acquired and for the next decade became the Paisley branch.
2009
Shaw Scientific, the leading education science supplier in Ireland, was acquired and continued to operate from their Dublin base for several years before merging with the existing operation in Cork.

Recent Years

2017
Two weeks after SciChem’s 60th anniversary of trading, the award-winning Private Equity Investor Rcapital backed a management buyout to provide the investment and support for the company’s new management team and their passion for science and education.

The story continues...

CLICK FOR Industrial & Laboratory
(UK & Ireland)
CLICK FOR Education
(UK)
CLICK FOR Shaw Scientific
(Ireland)
CLICK FOR Education
(International)